Ven Pongal recipe is very easy to make and time-saving in busy mornings. This is a great idea for a quick, healthy and tasty breakfast.
Venn Pongal and Medu vada served with delicious Coconut chutney form a South Indian staple breakfast!
Below is the recipe for yummy venn pongal. Do no confuse this with the sweet dish ‘Pongal’.
- Rice – 2/3 cup
- Moong dal (Split yellow lentils) – 1/3 cup
- Pepper corns (Black Pepper) – 15
- Ginger – small 1 inch by 1 inch piece cut finely
- Zeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 3tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15 (optional)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Wash and then soak the rice and moong dal for 15 minutes.
- Take a cooker pan and add oil to it.
- Heat the oil for a few seconds and put the cumin seeds and ginger cut into very small pieces into the oil.
- Add the pepper corns also and let it fry with the cumin and ginger for one minute or till you get the good aroma of the cumin seeds.
- Add two spoons of ghee to the pan.
- Add the rice and moong dal to the pan and fry slightly for 30 seconds. (Optional step)
- Add 3 and half cups water to the pan along with salt as needed.
- Close the cooker and let it pressure cook till 3 whistles sound. Then switch off the stove.
- Fry the cashew nuts in the remaining ghee separately and keep it aside.
- After the steam is released, add the fried cashew nuts to the rice and mix well.
- Delicious ven pongal is ready!
Also read: Coconut chutney easy recipe
Transfer the contents to a hot pack and serve the dish hot.
Venn Pongal goes very well with ‘Coconut chutney‘(see my simple recipe) or even ‘Onion raitha’.
I like this Nonstick Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Saute Pan for cooking.
I use this Prestige Pressure Cooker for cooking.
My favorite brand for Yellow split lentils (moong dal) is 24 Mantra Organic Moong Dal.
Also read: Medhu Vada recipe
Join the Facebook Group South Indian Veg Food Recipes for more yummy veg recipes!
*Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
easy! good recipe!
I was able to eat this kind of rice with cute / tiny piece. Thanks for sharing your recipe to your readers.
Looks tasty! Can you explain a little more about moong dal? What is it?
Sure.. Moong dal is also called Yellow Lentils. You can get it in any Indian grocery store or online on Amazon too, it has 24 Mantra organic Moong dal too.
I’ve never cooked with ghee but I hear good things about it. I bet this is great comfort food.
Yes..it is 🙂
This looks very delicious and easy to make. I would only need to purchase one ingredient, too. Thanks!
That looks so delicious. I will have to try this out.
Thanks! Do try, you will love it.