Ven Pongal recipe is very easy to make and time-saving in busy mornings. This is a great idea for a quick, healthy and tasty breakfast.
Below is the recipe for yummy venn pongal. Do no confuse this with the sweet dish ‘Pongal’.
- Rice – 2/3 cup
- Moong dal (Split yellow lentils) – 1/3 cup
- Pepper corns (Black Pepper) – 15
- Ginger – small 1 inch by 1 inch piece cut finely
- Zeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 3tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15 (optional)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Wash and then soak the rice and moong dal for 15 minutes.
- Take a cooker pan and add oil to it.
- Heat the oil for a few seconds and put the cumin seeds and ginger cut into very small pieces into the oil.
- Add the pepper corns also and let it fry with the cumin and ginger for one minute or till you get the good aroma of the cumin seeds.
- Add two spoons of ghee to the pan.
- Add the rice and moong dal to the pan and fry slightly for 30 seconds. (Optional step)
- Add 3 and half cups water to the pan along with salt as needed.
- Close the cooker and let it pressure cook till 3 whistles sound. Then switch off the stove.
- Fry the cashew nuts in the remaining ghee separately and keep it aside.
- After the steam is released, add the fried cashew nuts to the rice and mix well.
- Delicious ven pongal is ready!
Also read: Coconut chutney easy recipe
Transfer the contents to a hot pack and serve the dish hot.
Venn Pongal goes very well with ‘Coconut chutney‘(see my simple recipe) or even ‘Onion raitha’.
I like this Nonstick Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Saute Pan
I use this Prestige Pressure Cooker for cooking.
Also read: Medhu Vada recipe
Join the Facebook Group South Indian Veg Food Recipes for more yummy veg recipes!
*Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.