Tomato soup is something I always think of as a comfort food. Tomato Oats soup recipe is a delicious twist on this good old soup. This is a favorite in my aunt’s kitchen.
Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I wanted to use oats in my diet to include more fiber and use this tasty recipe to do that. This tomato oats soup recipe is loved by one and all at home including my 10-month-old!!
Vegetable broth gives a rich taste to this soup but if you don’t have it handy, you can even use water.
Tomato Oats Soup Recipe
- Tomatoes – 4 big
- Oats – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 big
- Garlic – 4 pieces
- Vegetable broth or Water – 3 cups
- Cilantro leaves – a handful (Kothamalli tala, kothimeera aakulu)
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Green Chill – 1 (optional)
- Salt – as needed
- Pepper powder – as needed
- Wash the tomatoes and cilantro leaves.
- Chop them roughly along with the onion.
- Remove the garlic skin.
- Grind the tomatoes, cilantro, onion and garlic to a smooth paste by adding 1/4 cup of vegetable broth or water. Grind the green chilli also if you use it.
- Place a deep bottomed vessel on the stove and pour the olive oil in it.
- On a medium flame, toast the oats for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato-onion-garlic-cilantro mixture to the vessel along with the remaining vegetable broth.
- Add salt according to your taste.
- Let it boil and then simmer the soup on a low flame for 15 minutes.
- Now switch off the stove and top off the soup with pepper powder and the soup is ready!
- If you like, you can added pieces of toasted bread while serving.
- You can use water instead of vegetable broth. I use vegetable broth for obvious reason that it adds more nutrients to the soup.
- My favorite go to brand of ready-made vegetable broth is the low sodium organic veg broth from Imagine
, I get this if I don’t have time to make the broth at home.
- Cilantro leaves are optional and the soup color would remain red instead of green if you don’t use them.
- You can use any refined oil or vegetable oil if you don’t have olive oil in stock.
- My favorite brand for olive oil is Filippo Berio Olive Oil