Medu Vada is a traditional snack famous in South India, especially in Tamil Nadu.
It forms part of breakfast for many people. It is common to have Idli and Medu vada together with coconut chutney for breakfast.
This vada is not only super tasty but also healthy. It is a traditional food given to young girls to strengthen their backs in the olden days.
But as it is deep-fried, it is best to consume moderately.
Medu vada is a three-ingredient snack, so, it is very easy to make. Here is a simple recipe to make Medu Vada.
- Urad Dal (Black Gram) – 1 cup
- Pepper corns (melagu/miriyalu) – 15
- Onion – 1 big
- Cooking oil – 300 ml
- Salt – as needed
- Baking soda – a pinch (optionally used for extra softness)
- Wash and soak the urad dal for 2 hours.
- If you use hot water to soak it, one and half hours soaking time is enough.
- Chop the onion into small pieces.
- Grind the soaked dal to get a smooth paste like consistency. Don’t add too much water.
- Add baking soda now if you are using it.
- Mix the pepper and chopped onion in the batter.
- Heat the oil in a deep-bottomed pan.
- Take some batter in your hands and make it flat, make a small hole in the center and drop it in the oil.
- Fry the vada till it turns a crisp golden brown.
- It is best served hot with coconut chutney
- Add baking soda only if you see that the vada is hard when you try the first batch., try just one or two vadas at first. When you use soda, it takes more oil.
- I like this Nonstick Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Saute Pan for cooking.
Also read: Very easy Coconut Chutney Recipe
Join the Facebook Group South Indian Veg Food Recipes for more yummy veg recipes!
*Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.