Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Morr Kozhambu or Majjiga Pulusu or Buttermilk curry is a simple and tasty dish which can be done within 15 minutes. Yup, you read it right. This takes very less time to prepare.
Try this recipe the next time you are looking for variety and have less time to cook. As this is mild and contains curd, it is gentle and good for the stomach.
I used Chow Chow, also called as ‘Naatu Vankaya/Katharika/Chayote Squash‘, for this recipe. You can also add other vegetables you like.
I sometimes add carrots for my kids. For those who would like to see what a Chow Chow (Chayote Squash) looks like, check the below image.
- Chow chow – 1 medium size
- Curd – 1 cup
- Curry leaves – 10
- Bengal gram (Chana dal/changa pappu/split chickpeas) – 1 tbsp
- Toor dal (kandi pappu/tuvaram parupu/split pigeon peas) – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Cooking oil – 3 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Corriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Zeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
- Ginger – small piece
- Tomato – 1 small size
- Soaked Bengal gram and Toor dal
- Soak Bengal gram and Toor dal for half an hour.
- Grind the items listed for grinding in a mixer until they are ground coarsely. No need to make the paste too smooth.
- Cut Chow Chow into small pieces and switch on the stove.
- Place a deep bottomed pan on the stove, add oil and fry the mustard seeds.
- Once they sputter, add curry leaves and fry till they are crisp.
- Add the Chow Chow pieces to the pan and fry them for 2 minutes.
- Pour one glass of water in the pan and let it boil for 5 minutes, by this time the vegetable would be cooked properly. Check if the chow chow is boiled, or else boil for few more minutes.
- Add the grinded paste to the pan along with the curd and salt, let the whole mixture simmer on the stove for 5 minutes and your curry will be ready.
Enjoy the tasty buttermilk curry and its goodness!
Having this curry with rice and Masala Vada or fritters or papad as a side would be heavenly!!
Also read: Masala Vada Recipe
Tips: Try this Organic Chana Dal of 24 Mantra for chana dal.
I like this Nonstick Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Saute Pan for cooking.
I use this Prestige Pressure Cooker for cooking.
Instead of Chow Chow, you can also use either bottle gourd (Sorakaya) or even carrots.