Lemon Rice is a super quick lunch idea for your busy day. This recipe is the most basic variant to your plain rice to color it up.
This lemon rice recipe is a very convenient variety rice recipe because it literally takes just under 5 minutes to make when you have cooked rice ready.
You can use any leftover white rice to make Lemon rice too. You need not waste the rice which would not look inviting if left that way. Try making this and you will find that it will be gone before you realize it 😉
Lemon Rice Recipe
- Lemon – 1
- Cooked Rice – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds(aavaalu/kadugu) – 1 tsp
- Chana Dal (shanaga pappu) – 1 tsp
- Red chili – 2
- Curry leaves (karivepaku/karivepula) – 10
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Groundnuts (peanuts) – 15 (optional)
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat a thick-bottomed pan and add oil to it. On a medium low flame, crackle the mustard seeds first.
- Then fry the chana dal, ground nuts, red chili and curry leaves.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to it and switch off the stove.
- Now squeeze the lemon juice into this.
- Add the white rice to this pan and mix gently.
- Lemon rice is ready! Serve it with potato chips or papad or fryums or simply have it as it is.
Also read: Delicious Tangy Tamarind Rice Recipe
- When I don’t have a lemon, to use any leftover rice from the afternoon, I simply use this recipe without lemon. It makes for an awesome fried rice kind of recipe and will be quickly enjoyed by your family 🙂
- You can use green chilies instead of red chilies for more spice.
- Add asafoetida (hing/inguva/perungayam) if you use groundnuts. It helps reduce gas in the stomach. Thanks dear Swetha Priya M for the suggestion 🙂