Kesari is one of those tasty desserts that can be made in a jiffy. Whenever anyone in our family (usually me ;)) has a sweet craving, I quickly make this and enjoy its simple deliciousness.
This Rava Kesari recipe has only 4 main ingredients and can be made in just 15 minutes.
Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
As I do not use food colors in my recipes, I use a pinch of turmeric powder for color in this Kesari. The taste does not change and keeps this recipe safe from artificial ingredients.
Rava Kesari Recipe
- Semolina – 3/4 cup (Bombay Rava, Upma rava, Sooji)
- Sugar – 1 cup (3/4 cup if you prefer less sweetness)
- Powdered Cardamom – 2 (Elachi/Elakulu/Elaka)
- Ghee – 3 tbsp (Neyyi)
- Cashew Nuts – handful (Kaju/jeedi pappu/mundiri paruppu)
- Raisins – handful (Kismis/karuppu draksha)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp (Pasupu podi/Manja thool)
- Water – 2.5 cups (2 cups if you are adding milk)
- Milk – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Heat a thick-bottomed pan and add 2 tbsp ghee to it.
- Fry the cashews and raisins. Remove them and put them in a clean plate.
- In the same pan, in the remaining ghee, fry the semolina rava on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Remove the roasted rava into a new plate.
- Add water and milk to the pan and let it come to a boil.
- Add turmeric powder to the water and mix it.
- Now on a medium flame, slowly add the rava to this water and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- After the rava is cooked, add sugar, cardamom powder and ghee to it.
- Stir till the sugar is dissolved and switch off the stove.
- Top it off with the cashews and raisins you fried earlier.
- Now tasty Kesari is ready.
- Serve it hot from the stove or cool it and enjoy.
Also read: Sugar-free Badam Halwa Recipe
Join this Facebook Group for more South Indian Vegetarian Recipes.
- Kesari stays good for two days at room temperature and even a week in the refrigerator.
- Add a dash of milk to the bowl while serving if you want it less sweet.
- I buy this Roasted Upma Rava from Deep. I can avoid roasting the rava step as I can use it directly by roasting it in ghee for just about 30 seconds.
Oh thank you so much for this recipe. My husband will love me so much for making him this. When I mentioned it to him he said it’s really nice and I think he’d love some authentic vegan food (considering we now live in Spain). It will also be super easy for me to veganise if I replace the ghee. Thank you ever so much ?
Lovely to hear that 🙂
Love making kesari as well as halwa with slight variations. So glad you stayed away from food color since kids love this too 🙂
thank you 🙂
Did you try it with jaggery?
I’ve never had kesari before, but this sounds fairly simple to make! Definitely going to share this with a friend that I know would love it!