Coconut chutney is a delicious accompaniment for many breakfast foods like dosa, idli, puri, ven pongal, medu vada etc. This chutney is the most commonly found item in South Indian kitchens.
It is a great combination for many other recipes too. And the good news is that it is not only super easy to make, but also super quick.
For busy moms, this recipe is a great time-saver. Anyone without cooking skills also can make this chutney easily.
So, here is the recipe.
- Coconut – 100 gms or 1/2 cup
- Fried gram (Roasted Bengal Gram/Pottu Kadala/putnalu/Dhaliya) – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind – 1 small piece
- Chilli (Red/Green) – 1
- Salt – as needed
- Garlic – 1 piece (optional..adds spice)
- Curry leaves – 10 (optional)
- Cut the coconut into small pieces, chop the chilli and garlic into half.
- Grind all the ingredients together with a little water and make a semi-fine paste and the chutney is ready!
- Temper the chutney and enjoy.
Also read: Ven Pongal recipe
Tempering process for those who are new to cooking
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Gram dal – 2 tsp
- Red chilli – 2
- Curry leaves – 10
- Cooking oil – 2 tsp
- Add cooking oil to a pan, after it is heated up, add mustard seeds.
- Let the mustard seeds sputter and then add urad dal, gram dal, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry the mix till the dal turns golden brown and the curry leaves become crispy.
If fresh coconut is not accessible to you, you can get shredded coconut from a grocery store and use it for this chutney. It is even available online and my favorite is Organic Shredded Coconut by Anthony’s.
I get this Organic Roasted Bengal gram (Dhaliya/Fried gram).
Like it? Pin it for later!
Join the Facebook Group South Indian Veg Food Recipes for more yummy veg recipes!
*Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Just because there was “coconut” in the title, I had to read it. I’m really crazy about coconut. Not really sure what chutney is, to be honest, but they look quite delish.
omg this sounds delicious. I am constantly trying to find new recipes that taste different from what I am used to. This is a great stray from my usual garlic laden recipe.
I’m going to have to put this in my rotation this looks yummy!
This looks the bomb! Can I have some for delivery pls! Haha jk. Thank u for sharing the recipe:)