Bread Chole or Bread Channa is a super tasty after-school snack at home. It is easy to make and takes less time to put together.
Channa masala (Chole masala) is made with Chickpeas also called Chana or Chole. It can be made on one pot and stored. Then all you would have to do is toast the bread before having this snack and topping it with this masala.
Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chickpeas are a rich source of protein and dietary fiber and this makes this snack healthier compared to regular biscuits and tea in the evenings.
Channa Masala Recipe
- Channa (Chole/Chickpeas) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 medium
- Tomato – 1 large
- Red chili – 1
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder (Jeera pwd) – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder (Manja thool/Pasupu podi) – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – handful finely chopped
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Soak chickpeas (channa) for 6 to 8 hours.
- Cook soaked chickpeas in a pressure cooker with little salt. Check if they easily mash in your fingers, or else cook for some more time till they are soft.
- Grind tomato, ginger, garlic and chili to a smooth paste. Chop the onion very finely.
- Heat a thick-bottomed pan on the stove and add oil to it.
- First add the onion, fry for a minute, then add the tomato masala paste you just grinded and saute for a few more minutes.
- Now add garam masala, turmeric powder coriander powder, mix well and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add the boiled chickpeas and water to this pan and let it cook for 10 minutes on a medium to low flame.
- Switch off the stove and add coriander leaves and mix the chana masala.
- Chana masala is ready now!
Bread Chana Recipe
- Bread – 4 slices (as needed)
- Butter – 20 gms (for toasting)
- Chana Masala – 4 tbsp
- Toast the bread with butter.
- Top it with a tbsp of chana masala and serve!
Also read: Delicious Bread Pudding Recipe
- Use ghee instead of butter to toast the bread for nice aroma.
- For more spice in the masala, use green chili instead of red ones.
- My favorite chickpeas are from Just Organik .