Ven Pongal recipe is very easy to make and time-saving in busy mornings. This is a great idea for a quick, healthy and tasty breakfast.
Below is the recipe for yummy venn pongal. Do no confuse this with the sweet dish ‘Pongal’.
- Rice – 2/3 cup
- Moong dal (Split yellow lentils) – 1/3 cup
- Pepper corns (Black Pepper) – 15
- Ginger – small 1 inch by 1 inch piece cut finely
- Zeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 3tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15 (optional)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Wash and then soak the rice and moong dal for 15 minutes.
- Take a cooker pan and add oil to it.
- Heat the oil for a few seconds and put the cumin seeds and ginger cut into very small pieces into the oil.
- Add the pepper corns also and let it fry with the cumin and ginger for one minute or till you get the good aroma of the cumin seeds.
- Add two spoons of ghee to the pan.
- Add the rice and moong dal to the pan and fry slightly for 30 seconds. (Optional step)
- Add 3 and half cups water to the pan along with salt as needed.
- Close the cooker and let it pressure cook till 3 whistles sound. Then switch off the stove.
- Fry the cashew nuts in the remaining ghee separately and keep it aside.
- After the steam is released, add the fried cashew nuts to the rice and mix well.
- Delicious ven pongal is ready!
Also read: Coconut chutney easy recipe
Transfer the contents to a hot pack and serve the dish hot.
Venn Pongal goes very well with ‘Coconut chutney‘(see my simple recipe) or even ‘Onion raitha’.
My favorite brand for Yellow split lentils (moong dal) is 24 Mantra Organic Moong Dal.