Ven Pongal is very easy to make and time-saving recipe, which is a great idea for a quick and tasty breakfast. Below is the recipe to this healthy dish. Do no confuse this with the sweet dish ‘Pongal’.
- Rice – 3/4 cup
- Moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Pepper corns (Black Pepper) – 10
- Ginger – small piece
- Zeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 3tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Wash and then soak the rice and moong dal for 15 minutes.
- Take a cooker pan and add oil to it.
- Heat the oil for a few seconds and put the cumin seeds and ginger cut into very small pieces into the oil.
- Add the pepper corns also and let it fry with the cumin and ginger for one minute or till you get the good aroma of the cumin seeds.
- Add two spoons of ghee to the pan.
- Add the rice and moong dal to the pan and fry slightly for 30 seconds.
- Add 3 and half cups water to the pan along with salt as needed.
- Close the cooker and let it cook till 3 whistles come. Then switch off the stove.
- Fry the cashew nuts in the remaining ghee separately and keep it aside.
- After the steam is released, add the fried cashew nuts to the rice and mix well.
Transfer the contents to a hot pack and serve the dish hot. Ven Pongal goes very well with ‘Coconut chutney‘(see my simple recipe) or even ‘Onion raitha’.