Medu Vada is a traditional snack unique to Tamil Nadu, South India. It forms part of breakfast for many people. It is common to have Idli and Medu vada together with coconut chutney for breakfast.
This vada is not only super tasty but also healthy. It is given to young girls to strengthen the back. But as it is deep-fried, it is best to consume moderately.
Medu vada is a three-ingredient snack, so, it is very easy to make. Here is a simple recipe to make Medu Vada.
- Urad Dal (Black Gram) – 1 cup
- Pepper corns (melagu/miriyalu) – 15
- Onion – 1 big
- Cooking oil – 300 ml
- Salt – as needed
- Wash and soak the urad dal for 2 hours. If you use hot water to soak it, one and half hours soaking time is enough. I use this Organic Urad Dal
- Chop the onion into small pieces.
- Grind the soaked dal to get a paste like consistency. Don’t add too much water.
- Mix the pepper and chopped onion in the batter.
- Heat the oil in a deep-bottomed pan.
- Take some batter in your hands and make it flat, make a small hole in the center and drop it in the oil.
- Fry the vada till it turns a crisp golden brown.
- It is best served hot with coconut chutney
Enjoy this tasty snack and let me know your comments!
* This post has an affiliate link to a product I use and recommend. It won’t cost you anything extra and can sometimes earn a small commission. This helps me to continue running this website with awesome content for free.