Vegetable broth aka vegetable stock is a nutritious and simple recipe for a cold windy day to warm you up 🙂 In this post you will learn how to make vegetable broth easily.
Don’t discard those vegetables leftover from last week or the vegetable skins and sides you usually throw away. They can be put to a good use as you will learn how to make vegetable broth using this simple recipe.
You can use this homemade vegetable broth to make any soups or sauces or any recipe that needs vegetable stock or broth.
- Vegetables of your choice (whatever is leftover and those veggie skins and sides from your week’s cooking or you can use any vegetable you get your hands on. I used carrots, potatoes and other odd veggies leftover)
- Celery – 2 stalks
- Onion – 2 big
- Water – Enough to immerse the veggies (less water gives more concentrated stock)
- Wash those vegetables and roughly chop them. You can leave the skin on even for the onion.
- Put these vegetable pieces in a large thick bottomed pan and add enough water to immerse them and get it to boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, simmer the broth for 30 minutes to 45 minutes.
- Switch off the stove and let it cool for 15 minutes. This ensures that all the nutrition from the veggies are infused into the broth completely.
- Now remove the vegetables and strain the broth into a clean vessel.
- You can even have this hot off the stove as a nutritious simple clear soup or save it for later to make other soups.
- Leave it to cool down totally and then save it in a clean jar and refrigerate to use whenever you need it. It can be frozen up to 2 months.
Also read: Steamy Broccoli Green Peas Veg Soup
You can use this vegetable broth as a base to make even more attractive and delicious vegetable soups too if you don’t finish it up as soon as its made 😉
Also read: Delicious Tomato Oats Soup
- Don’t use green beans as slow cooking makes it taste bad or bitter guard obviously as this makes the soup bitter.
- Store those vegetable ends, skins and odds in a reusable bag in your refrigerator over the week to use it to make this vegetable stock in the weekend or anytime that works for you.
- Use equal quantities of each vegetable so that you get a uniform taste instead of something dominating the stock unless of course you prefer it.
- If you want to make a clear soup, don’t use potatoes or beetroots as this clouds up the soup.
- Celery is very useful for our health. As some people do not like having it as it is, this broth is a great way to include this super vegetable into your diet.
- This is my favorite soup strainer from Winco if you want to give it a try.
Join the Facebook Group South Indian Veg Food Recipes for more yummy veg recipes!
*Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.