Morr Kozhambu or Majjiga Pulusu or Buttermilk curry is a simple yet tasty dish which can be done within 15 minutes. Try this recipe the next time you are looking for variety. This recipe uses the vegetable chow chow, it is also called as ‘Naatu Vankaya/Katharika’. Instead of chow chow, you can use either bottle gourd (sorakaya) or carrots also. As this is mild and contains curd, it is very good for the stomach.
- Chow chow – 1 medium size
- Curd – 1 cup
- Curry leaves – 10
- Corriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Bengal gram – 1 tbsp
- Toor dal – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
Soak Bengal gram and Toor dal for half an hour.
- Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Zeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
- Ginger – small piece
- Tomato – 1 small size
- Soaked Bengal gram and Toor dal
Grind these items in a mixer until they are ground coarsely. No need to make the paste too smooth.
- Once you grind the ingredients and have cut chow chow into small pieces, you can switch on the stove.
- Place a deep bottomed pan on the stove, add three spoons of oil and fry the mustard seeds. Once they sputter, add curry leaves and fry till they are crisp.
- Add the chow chow pieces to the pan and fry them for 2 minutes.
- Pour one glass of water in the pan and let it boil for 5 minutes, by this time the vegetable would be cooked properly.
- Add the grinded paste to the pan along with the curd, let the whole mixture simmer on the stove for 5 minutes and your curry will be ready.
Enjoy the tasty buttermilk curry and its goodness!
For those who would like to see what a Chow Chow looks like, check the below image.