Tapioca (Yuka or Cassava roots) locally called as Kuchi kelangu in Tamil Nadu, India, is a tasty ingredient used to make a variety of delicious snacks. Here is an easy recipe to make vada with this delicious tuber. The quantity given here serves four people.
Tapioca tubers – 1 kg
Gram dal – 250 gms
Red chillies – 6
Onion (big sized) – 2
Sompf (Fennel seeds) – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – handful
Cooking oil – 1/2 liter
Salt – to taste
- Soak the gram dal for 1 hour.
- Peel the tapioca tubers, wash and grate them.
- Grind the grated tapioca along with the red chillies and salt. Do not add water at all. The water that is soaked in by the dal is enough for grinding it to a paste. If more water is added, vadas cannot be made.
- If by mistake the batter becomes more watery, add a little rice flour and bring it to the right consistency. You should be able to make small balls of the batter in your palms.
- Add the chopped onion, sompf and curry leaves to this mixture, make small balls using your palms and flatten them.
- Heat cooking oil in a deep-bottomed pan.
- When the oil is hot enough, drop the flattened batter balls into the oil and fry till they turn golden brown.
Enjoy the tasty kuchi kelangu vadas. For more Tapioca recipes (chips and fry), check out my post on Tapioca Recipes.
Tip: Tapioca Flour is also available these days readily. You can use it to make this recipe and also as a thickening agent. You can make even cakes too!
Disclaimer: This post contains an affiliate link to a product I use and recommend.