Super Easy Dal Rice Recipe
Dal rice is one of my favorite comfort foods that is conveniently easy and quick to make. This super easy, tasty and healthy one pot recipe can be used as a cheat food to get your little ones to add more protein to their diet.
Here is the dal rice aka parupu saadam recipe.
Dal Rice Recipe
- Tur Dal (Split Pigeon peas/kandi pappu/tuvaram parupu) – 1/3 cup
- Chana Dal (Split Chickpeas/chanaga pappu/kadalai paruppu) – 1/4 cup
- Rice – 2/3 cup
- Carrot – 1 chopped in 2 inch pieces (optional)
- Onion – 1 medium finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 or 3 cloves (optional)
- Green Chili – 1 split vertically
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder (pasupu/manja thool) – 1 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Water – 3 1/2 cups
- Wash and soak rice, chana dal and tur dal, all together in a vessel for 30 minutes.
- Place pressure cooker pan on the stove. Heat the oil in it on a medium flame.
- Saute cumin seeds for 30 seconds, then saute onion and green chili till the onion turns soft.
- Saute garlic also if you are using it.
- Add carrots if you are using them along with the soaked rice and dals to the pressure cooker pan.
- Add water and salt. Stir all the ingredients.
- Now, close the cooker with its lid and let it cook for 3 whistles.
- Enjoy hot Dal Rice with pickle, curd and papad.
Also read: How to make Ghee at home in 10 minutes
- Skip green chilli and add 1 tsp red chilli powder if you are cooking for kids.
- Add any vegetables like carrots and beans to make Dal Rice colorful.
- Dal Rice tastes heavenly when you add a drop of ghee and have it with mango pickle!
- I use the Presto Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker.
Also read: Time savers – One Pot Recipes
Join the Facebook Group South Indian Veg Food Recipes for more yummy veg recipes!
*This post has affiliate links to products I use and recommend. It won’t cost you anything extra and can sometimes earn a tiny commission. This helps me to continue running this website with awesome content for free!