Bread pudding recipe is a simple and delicious way to use your bread pieces and leftover bread that would otherwise go waste.
This pudding is one of my favorite desserts. I try to make it at least once a month to enjoy it with my family on any day. It tastes super good and is easy to make.
What makes this pudding so special is that it can be made even with stale bread or bread crusts. So, don’t throw away all those bread sides and crusts leftover from cutting your bread for a sandwich.
Bread Pudding recipe using oven (egg and egg-less)
- Bread/Bread crust – 5 cups
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Raisins – handful
- Eggs – 3 (optional)
- Vanilla essence – 2 tsp (optional, can be used if you use eggs)
Method using oven (with or without egg)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop the bread/crusts and put the pieces in a large oven-safe bowl spread evenly.
- Beat the eggs if you are using them and add vanilla essence to it.
- Add the milk and sugar. Mix them well with the eggs if you use them.
- Pour this mixture on the bread pieces to soak them.
- Sprinkle the melted butter on top and throw in the raisins too.
- Put the bowl in the preheated oven and let it bake for about 40 minutes. The top will spring back when you gently push it with a fork indicating that the pudding is ready.
- Optionally add a tsp of cinnamon powder to the beaten eggs mixture, if you like the flavor.
- Use any vessel that you would use on the stove top for cooking, to bake the pudding in the oven. You do not need to buy any fancy oven bowls. I used a stainless steel vessel for the pudding.
Now that you have seen the bread pudding recipe made with oven, both with and without egg, we will move on to the no-bake egg-less bread pudding recipe for those who do not have access to an oven.
Bread Pudding recipe without oven and without eggs
- Bread/Bread crust – 2.5 cups
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Raisins – 12
- Ghee – 2 tsps to fry the raisins
- Corn starch – 1/4 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp (optional)
Method without Oven
- Chop the bread/crusts into small pieces and put them in a bowl.
- Mix the milk and sugar along with corn starch and vanilla essence in a small steel vessel that you can fit in your pressure cooker or idli cooker easily.
- Switch on the stove and heat this milk on a low flame till sugar dissolves.
- Add the bread pieces to this milk and keep it on low flame for two minutes while stirring continuously.
- Now place this vessel in a pressure cooker or idli cooker after you add a little water for steaming in the cooker. You can use an inverted flat bowl inside the cooker to place this bowl too.
- Close the cooker lid, don’t use the weight as we need to allow the steam to escape.
- Let it steam for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shallow fry the raisins and keep them aside.
- After the pudding is steamed, sprinkle the melted butter on top of it and throw in the raisins too.
- Let it cool and then serve the bread pudding at room temperature.
- You can even freeze it for two hours for it to retain shape and make cutting easy.
Enjoy this yummy recipe and let me know if you have any more ideas to use leftover bread 🙂
Do not forget to like and share this post.