Badam Halwa (Almond pudding) is one of my favorite sweets and it is always on my top things to make for any festival at home. I made it for Rakhi festival this week and everyone loved it. It is a super easy and very quick recipe, takes only 15 minutes of cooking time.
Badam halwa is a simple dish to make as all it takes is just four ingredients: Almonds (Badam), Jaggery, Milk and Ghee 🙂 You can even use water instead of milk (for vegans).
This sweet is usually made with sugar, but as I am getting more health-conscious, I used jaggery (gur) instead of sugar. But as it turns out, the taste does not differ much.
Traditionally we use jaggery in various dishes as it has good iron content that our bodies need (especially useful if you are anemic). Also, almonds’ health benefits are well-known. This makes our badam halwa particularly healthy!
You have a healthy and tasty dessert just by using jaggery as a healthy replacement to sugar. So, go on and indulge in this delicious guilt-free dessert and satisfy your sweet tooth 🙂
Badam Halwa without sugar recipe
Here is the recipe to sugar-free Badam Halwa.
4 hours to soak almonds
15 minutes cooking time
- Almonds (badam) – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Ghee – 4 tbsp
- Cardamom/Elachi – 1 powdered (optional)
- Saffron – few strands for color (optional)
Also read: How to make Ghee at home from butter easily
- Soak the almonds for 4 hours or more.
- Remove the skin of almonds and put them in a mixer/grinder.
- Grind the skin-less almonds along with the jaggery and milk to a smooth paste. Vegans can use water instead of milk.
- If you are using elachi powder and saffron, you can add them now.
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan on the stove top and add 2 tbsp ghee to it.
- Once the ghee gets hot, reduce the heat to medium and drop the almond-jaggery-milk paste into it.
- Keep stirring the halwa and add the remaining ghee at a few minute intervals.
- After 10 to 15 minutes of stirring, your sugar-free almond dessert is ready!
Sprinkle a few chopped badam pieces on it if you like. Enjoy delicious sugar-free Badam Halwa 🙂
- You can reduce or increase the jaggery quantity according to your taste.
- You can store the halwa in a clean container at room temperature. It stays good for at least 4 days, later you can refrigerate it if you made a large quantity.
My favorite brand for almonds is below if you want to try!
* This post has affiliate links to products I use and recommend. It won’t cost you anything extra and can sometimes earn a tiny commission. This helps me to continue running this website with awesome content for free