Allam Chutney Recipe
Ginger is a powerful root vegetable used to cure many illnesses traditionally with Ayurveda techniques. Allam chutney uses this root as the main ingredient and is a very tasty side dish for pesarattu, dosa and idli. This delicious chutney is quite simple to make too.
Ginger helps improve our immunity, digestion and overall bone strength. So, why not try to use this good old spice as a chutney? Try this yummy allam chutney recipe (ginger chutney) today.
- Ginger – 2 square pieces of ginger (1 inch by 1 inch size) (allam/ingi)
- Onion -1 big
- Chana dal – 2 tbsp
- Red chili – 2
- Tamarind – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp (Jeera)
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal split – 1 tsp
- Red Chili – 1
- Curry leaves – 10
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Roughly chop the ginger and onion into small pieces.
- Heat a pan on the stove on a medium flame and add 1 tbsp oil to it.
- Fry ginger, onion pieces for 2 minutes and transfer them to a clean plate.
- Now fry cumin seeds, chana dal and red chili for a minute and switch off the stove.
- Add tamarind to the pan and let all the ingredients cool down.
- Grind the ingredients with salt in a blender/mixie using a little water if needed and the chutney is ready.
- To temper (talimpu), heat a pan on a medium flame and add 1 tsp oil to it.
- Now add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal and fry for a minute.
- Add red chili, curry leaves and fry for a few seconds till they turn crisp and switch off the stove.
- Pour the tempering on the grinded chutney and Allam chutney is ready!
Also read: Simple coconut chutney recipe
Also read: Ragi Dosa Recipe
- You can soak tamarind in water for a few minutes and use that water to grind the chutney.
- Tempering is optional.
- Adjust spice level by increasing or decreasing number of red chilies.
- Check out Preethi Blue Leaf 3 Jar Mixer Grinder on Amazon. I like this mixie as it gives a smooth chutney.
*Disclosure: This post may have affiliate link(s). They do not cost anything extra to you. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.